How much is the number one question our clients ask before considering a bathroom remodel. And our answer is always the same, “It depends.” For a premium masterbath, the range we provide as a rule of thumb is at a low $35,000 and more than $100,000 at the upper end of the price scale. Here are the factors that influence costs.
- Area of the country
- Size of the bath
- Shape of the bath
- Scope of the renovation
- Quality of materials and finishes selected
- Cost of labor
Master bathroom renovations in major U.S. cities cost more than in secondary and rural markets simply because the cost of doing business and labor tends to be lower in rural and secondary markets. What is not included or explained on HGTV, DYI or other home shows on television is the cost of labor. Renovating a bathroom involves a number of skilled trades that may include carpenters, floor covering installers, plumbers, electricians, wall covering installers, lighting specialists and general contractors among others whose expertise and skill sets can make or break any project.
Labor is the biggest cost of any bathroom renovation and the bottom line on labor is affected by size and shape of the bath and scope of the project. Odd shapes and larger baths will generally be more costly than a conventionally sized and shaped baths.
The scope of the renovation also affects the price.
- Will you replace exactly what’s there with new products or do you plan to reconfigure space?
- Are you moving or adding windows or skylights?
- Are you removing wall coverings and taking the renovation down to the studs?
- Do you need to move or relocate in-wall, floor and ceiling plumbing, electrical and ventilation?
- Will the renovation force you to make unanticipated changes to comply with local codes?
- Are you interested in creating an in-home spa that offers the ability to wash away the stresses of the day and promote your family's health and wellbeing?
- Will you need a specialist to install shower doors, a steam system, tile, flooring, shower doors or cabinetry?
- Do you want storage solutions that will make your life easier and your new bath more enjoyable?
- Will you have to or want to move your existing toilet location?
- Will special plumbing and electric be needed for the new toilet, bidet, bidet seat, sink, faucets, shower systems, tub systems or storage solutions?
- Are you interested in outfitting your bath with original designed fixtures?
- How important is the quality of floor or wall coverings?
- How "smart" and connected do you want your bath to be?
- How environmentally efficient do you want your new bath to be?
- Who plans to use the bath, how often and when?
- How long do you plan to live in your home?
When you plan your bath renovation, generally there are more questions than answers. Based on our many years of experience serving consumers, we do know that one surefire way to control costs is to have a well thought out plan that answers most of the questions before a single nail is hammered. That’s the reason to rely on a professional showroom because professionals who design bathrooms and specify products for them are well positioned to help you answer the questions that will help assure your needs, wants and dreams are met.
Our professionals, design baths every day and know the questions to ask that most homeowners rarely consider. They know the fulfillment capabilities of manufacturers. They have unique insights into products that are on trend, timeless or out-of-date. They most likely have experienced every problem that a renovation can encounter and know how to avoid or mitigate the consequences. They know how to train installers to avoid problems and have a direct pipeline to manufacturers to ensure on-time delivery at quality levels that you expect and deserve. A professional showroom consultant can and should be your best friend and an invaluable resource.